Pages

Sunday, March 17, 2013

St Patrick's Day : Irish Phrases !

It's not known by many but Northern Ireland has it's own language ! As it is St Patrick's Day, here are a few phrases and words to make you smile :

Bake = Mouth / Face ... Shut your bake !
Bout Ye = How are you ... Bout ye big lad !
Catch Yerself On = Get a hold of yourself ... Wise Up !
Cracker = Good ... Great !
Craic = Fun Pronounced Crack ... have a good time !
Clipe = Slice ... Clipe of cake !
Da = Father
Dander = Walk ... Let's go for a dander !
Dead On = Alright, Good ... he's dead on !
Eejit = Idiot ... You're an idiot !
Faffin' = Messing around ... Stop faffin' around !
Gub = Mouth ... I got a sore gub !
Hoak = Rummage ... He's always hoaking in the rubbish !
Is Your Head Cut = Are You Wise ... How much for that car ? Is your head cut ?
Jam Jar = Car
Kex = Underpants ... I'll have to buy some new kex !
Lamped = Punched ... He got lamped last night !
Lamps = Eyes
Lump = Lazy ... Get a job you big lump !
Lifted = Arrested
Ma = Mother
Minger = Ugly ... rude way to descibe how someone looks !
Mucker = Mate ... He's me mucker !
Neb = Nose ... You should see the neb on him !
Norn Iron = Slang way of saying Northern Ireland !
Oul Doll = Old Lady ... I haven't seen the oul doll in ages !
Oul Lad = Old Man
Poke = Ice Cream ... Can I have a poke and a flake please ?
Ragin' = Angry, Fuming ... He drank my Guinness, I was ragin !
Scundered = Embarassed ... She wasn't going out with me looking like that, she was scundered !
Tae = Tea ... A nice cup of tae !
Tele = Belfast Telegraph ... Newspaper !
Till = To ... I'm going till the shops !
Windee = Window
Yarn = Talk ... I had a good yarn with me ma !
Youse = You Lot ... Will youse be quiet  ?!

I am sure there are many more too !

No comments: